We visited with my 93 year old Aunt and my Parents, the other day. As we were getting ready to leave, she said: “Stace, mark my words, this wedding is just what you need to get better”, right before saying “you look great, Stace!!” What I know she meant as a compliment and as a beacon of hope, instead, cut me like a knife. So before I go on to explain why seemingly innocuous comments (or not) can hurt so deeply, here’s 10 of the rudest/dumbest/most insensitive comments I’ve received since becoming chronically ill:
- How sick can she really be?
- You already knew you had Lupus-why would you be upset to see the same diagnosis in writing?
- Fibro is that disease that people get when they don’t want to work
- My friend had Fibro and cured it by eating celery
- Everything is normal, have you thought about seeing a Psychiatrist?
View original post 861 more words